The resolution below failed 3-1 at the Community Relations and Education Committee meeting on August 28th. It’ll be before the full council on September 18th.
A RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SUPPORT FOR ACCESS TO SAFE AND
LEGAL ABORTION IN THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS AND ACROSS THE UNITED STATES
- WHEREAS, the U.S. Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade, of 1973 ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental right to privacy that protects a woman’s liberty to choose when or whether to have children, including a woman’s qualified right to terminate her pregnancy; and
- WHEREAS, many states including Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, Louisiana and Missouri have, in direct conflict with Supreme Court precedent, recently passed laws that attempt to ban or restrict access to legal and safe abortions; and
- WHEREAS reproductive health, including abortion, is a vital component of overall health, and health care is recognized as a fundamental human right; and
- WHEREAS, an individual’s freedom to make reproductive decisions is vital to their safety, well-being, economic opportunity, and ability to participate equally in society; and
- WHEREAS, the Massachusetts Legislature is currently considering the “ROE Act,”
(S.1209/H.3320), a bill to remove obstacles and expand access to women’s
reproductive health, co-sponsored by State Senator Joanne N. Comerford and
State Representative Paul Mark;
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Greenfield City Council hereby states its commitment to the protection of abortion rights, reproductive health care rights, and individuals’ rights to make reproductive decisions about their own bodies.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Greenfield City Council does hereby support the immediate passage of Massachusetts Senate Bill S.1209, “An Act to Remove Obstacles and Expand Abortion Access,” and House Bill H.3320, “An Act Removing Obstacles and Expanding Access to Women’s Reproductive Health.”
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the City Clerk of the City of Greenfield shall cause a
copy of this resolution to be sent to Massachusetts Governor Charles Baker; lead sponsor of S.1209, State Senator Harriet L. Chandler; lead sponsors of H.3320, State
Representatives Patricia A. Haddad and Jay D. Livingstone; State Senator Joanne N.
Comerford; and State Representative Paul Mark.